Saturday, February 27, 2010

Maybe I've gone overboard


So I really like getting a good deal. Some people are content with 10% off and consider that a "good deal." Other people clip coupons and buy things on sale and they get their "good deal."

Me, well, I don't buy big items UNLESS I get at least 10%. I don't wait for it to go on sale, I haggle OR I buy it used. Haggling has kind of a bad reputation because it has been abused, by car salesman i guess, but if you go to most other countries haggling is THE way of life. There are some countries that don't even have price tags in non-tourist areas. They haggle. I love that idea.

Most people when I tell them I do this and I tell them the deals I get, they have some excuse as to why haggling isn't a reliable way to purchase things. One of my favorite is the idea that you can't haggle at big box stores. This is not true! If I need something, I start at Best Buy. I've had more success at getting the priced reduced at Best Buy than any other place. I love Best Buy because of that. Also, despite what people think, car dealership, big box stores, or any good businesses don't sell things below cost. That only happens at garage and going out of business sales. They might sell it to you to break even but if they lose money on a deal they go out of business so they are making money or your helping them clear inventory (at cost) for new products so that they can make money.

In order to haggle you CAN'T be impatient. You must be able to walk away if you don't get your deal OR accept the deal they offer you. I purchased our computer for $450 which was regularly $599 (at Best Buy they kept offering $499) but it took several months. I purchased our LG Steam washer and dryer for 60% off but that took several years and I didn't get the color I really wanted.

As far as buying used, you're already getting a great deal because whoever bought the item took the depriciation hit. This is a huge money saving strategy, but don't buy junk. Cars and furniture are the best example of this, but it applies to almost every man-made item.

So you're probably wondering what inspired this blog post... I'm actually hoping my wife reads this before she gets back into town so I don't have to tell her personally what I've purchased but, I've purchased two things for Mayzie that she can't really use by herself. One a stuffed horse from H-E-B it was marked $20 but I got it for $10 because it has a small tear on a seam (that I knew my wife could fix.) The other a bicycle... that's right a bicycle. This time I got it used. It is reguarly $150, but I got it for $65. Mayzie is going to evenutally need a bike and this is a good bike for much cheaper than if I had to buy it new. BTW I've been looking for one like this one since July.

2 comments:

  1. Hah! Yes, you have gone overboard. Aren't y'all supposed to be getting rid of stuff??

    Maybe you can teach Mayzie to ride her bike before D'Lane comes home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not read this before I came home because I was not near a computer, so he did have to tell me in person, and all I can say is I was not surprised. My hubby does get good deals, sometimes untimely, but alway good!

    ReplyDelete