Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Weather

The only thing I can think of about having temps below freezing for 96 straight hours is it makes getting into a cold swimming pool easier. I had a great swim workout today and really enjoyed being in the water. I can't wait for warmer temperatures so that I can swim outside and feel the sun.

Today I woke up at it was 16 degrees winds were 15-20 miles per hour. It was 2 degrees warmer in Madison, Wisconsin than in Austin, TX. It is actually twice as cold in Austin, TX than in Washington DC! Amarillo was at -4 degrees and that' Fahrenheit!! Their winds were 30mph with gusts up to 50mph.

To make all of this worse, ERCOT, Texas' power grid authority, issued rolling blackouts or 30-45 minutes every 10-15 minutes. So while we don't really like having a fireplace taking up valuable space in our house. It is proving quite useful since our heater does not work without power. You see even though it is gas it still needs electricity to run the fan to circulate the air.

I work in a large data center and we have battery backup and diesel generator backup. This morning while shuffling server cabinets around part of our raise floor failed and a server cabinet all most crushed me. Had it happened 2 or 3 minutes earlier the two guys that caught it would not have been there and it would have fallen on me. Each cabinet is several hundred pounds. I could have been seriously hurt. As the cabinet fell it ripped a few cables and we had about an hour of downtime not related to the power outages across the state. Luckily we got everything back up and even temporarily fixed the floor. I guess today is just one of those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment