Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cross-training & running

Yesterday, I had a great swim workout. I used to hate swimming. I would avoid it, substitute run workouts and bike workouts for swim workouts, but now... I love them. I would rather swim, except it doesn't burn the same number of calories per time spent as running or biking does. Sure it is a great workout, but it doesn't help keep a quick run pace. Anyway I love swimming. Yesterday I swam 1/2 mile (800meters or 16laps) in 12 minutes. Then at lunch I did

20 pushups
20 pushups with feet elevated
40 tricep dips
80 lunges with 20# bar
40 crunches on exercise ball
150 step-ups with a clean and press (20# bar)

I'm sore!

Today, I ran 6x800 interval w/ 90sec rest interval. Yuck! Sometimes I hate my key#1 running workouts. Today was no exception, I really had to remind myself that I have a goal and I'm lucky to be able to set such a goal, so I need to give it everything I have to achieve it, because I can. I made it through my 6x800 with a 6:18min/mi pace. My HR was really high during the run interval in the upper 170's and lower 180's and boy could I feel it. I started getting short on breath on the 5th interval and I looked at my HR and it was at 183. It reminded me that I have a lot of work to do if I'm running a 6:18min/mile with a HR of 183.

IF you count this week, there are only 8 weeks left until the Rock n' Roll Half-Marathon... I'm thinking I've got a lot of work to get under 1:35, it is probably more realistic that I'll run it in 1:45, oh well I should be happy with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment