Friday, September 25, 2009

If I'm were to be a fish... I would be a flounder

ok I am going to sign up for a short race. Something like 5k or less if I can find one, I need to get myself to run faster. I trained for the Half-Ironman to run at a 7min/mi pace and it is stuck in my muscles.

I totally skipped out of all workouts yesterday. I sat in the hot tub in the morning and in the afternoon I wasted my money on a mocha at Barnes & Noble and read about "off-season" tri workouts. Kind of ironic huh? Skipping a workout to read about working out... that kept running through my mind as I sipped that great tasting mocha.

Anyway today I climbed back on the wagon because I keep thinking about how quickly life changes, and then doesn't stop for you to catch up. Justin, a fellow runner, who I mentioned earlier this week is still in a coma. Right now Justin has lost a week, and he didn't have a choice about it. I have a choice.

This morning I swam a 1/2 mile in 14:30, mostly working on technique. I have a terrible tendency to drop my arm during the glide before I start the pull. Which isn't usually a problem if you're swimming really fast but during longer swim races you tend to glide more. Plus it reinforces good reach before the pull. It was good workout, if I had more time I should have swim a mile.

And since I skipped my run workout yesterday morning, I went ahead an ran during lunch. The training plan for the half-marathon said 2miles easy (7:45 pace) and 3miles at my 10k pace (6:45.) I did it with a .5 incline on the treadmill, everything was pretty good, first mile was 8min as I was warming up and the 2nd mile was a 7:30, mile 3 was great 6:50 and I was feeling good my HR was in the 170's and I was feeling it. Mile 4 I had to walked for about two minutes. SO I knew I had some work to do, I pushed myself through the rest of 4 and managed to average a 8:15 pace and then mile 5 I turned it up and came in with a 6:15min/mi effort. The total time was just under 37 mins. My max HR was 185, and my average was 157. It was close to what I should have ran, but I wasn't tough enough to push through the pain at mile 4. I need to work on remembering my goals during a run. I can do it, I just need to remember I can do it. Instead I took a break and then had to work harder than I would have needed to inorder to finish with the time I wanted. That's kind of why I want a race to do, I love running fast and being up front helps me to practice pushing myself through my body's desire to quit.

I am sooo glad Andi is going to be doing this 100k with me, I would have quit. I know it. Because I'm not crazy enough to want to run 62miles, much less by myself. I still think 100k is going to be the dumbest thing I've done.

7 weeks until the Rock n Roll Half-Marathon... I'm a bit hesitant but I'm gonna be ready for PR

No comments:

Post a Comment