Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Rock-n-Roll

Now when we found out we were going to have the baby, people began to tell us how our life would change. When they would tell me how it would change, it was basically that all my hobbies would go out the door. I knew that they had some truth there, because everyone was telling me the same thing. But in my mind I thought, "it doesn't have to be that way!" What I didn't count on was that I would WANT to miss workouts because I wanted to spend time with the baby OR because I WANTED to give my wife some time away from the house.

As a result, I've neglected swimming and cycling and running and any other physical activity for that matter. The only bad thing is we had signed up for a half-marathon before the baby. Having not trained for this race, and relying solely on my base from the half-ironman training I did in the spring, I did it. My poor wife and to just rely on good ole' fashion blood, sweat and tears.

Before the race I started thinking it was a bad idea, at mile 1 I thought, "this was a dumb idea" and then mile 2 I thought, "am I going to make it?" And it kept getting worse until mile 4 when I decided to run to the 10k mark and walk to let my wife catch me and we could finish together.

She never caught me and I walked to the end. We finished the Rock-n-Roll Half Marathon, it wasn't pretty but it helped kick-start the desire to train hard so I can be fast. Now to figure out how to make that happen.

1 comment:

  1. I am proud of you for not giving up even though we had a "good" excuse! It tells me you won't give up when the goin' gets tough. I like that about you! <3

    ReplyDelete